Monday, January 30, 2012

Understanding The Business of Marketing


Just like our offline personality, your online persona now forms a significant part of your professional identity. Understanding how those personas align, diverge, and complement one another is crucial to ensure our leadership effectiveness, on- and offline.

According to a study by the Boston Consulting Group in a study supported by web giant Google, it is assumed that in four years 3bn people will be using the internet, or nearly 50% of the world's population. Right now, every year about 200 million people are going online for the very first time.

Before we can maximize our online footprint, let us try to understand the leadership responsibility of marketing in a basic offline setting.

A Professor at one of the Business schools was explaining marketing concepts to the students:

1 Direct Marketing: You see a gorgeous girl at a party. You go up to her and say: "I am very rich. Marry me!"

2 Advertising: You're at a party with a bunch of friends and see a gorgeous girl. One of your friends goes up to her and pointing at you says: "He's very rich. Marry him."

3 Telemarketing: You see a gorgeous girl at a party. You go up to her and get her telephone number. The next day, you call and say: "Hi, I'm very rich. Marry me."

4 Public Relations: You're at a party and see gorgeous girl. You get up and straighten your tie, you walk up to her and pour her a drink, you open the door (of the car) for her, pick up her bag after she drops it, offer her ride and then say: "By the way, I'm rich. Will you marry me?"

5 Brand Recognition: You're at a party and see gorgeous girl. She walks up to you and says: "You are very rich! Can you marry! Me?"

6 Customer Feedback: You see a gorgeous girl at a party. You go up to her and say: "I am very rich. Marry me!" She gives you a nice hard slap on your face.

7 Demand and Supply: You see a gorgeous girl at a party. You go up to her and say: "I am very rich. Marry me!" And she introduces you to her husband.

8 Competition: You see a gorgeous girl at a party. You go up to her and before you say anything, another person comes and tells her: "I'm rich. Will you marry me?" and she goes with him.

9 Market Restriction: You see a gorgeous girl at a party. You go up to her and before you say: "I'm rich, Marry me!" Your wife arrives.

I hope you will agree that the professors' explanations are accurate and non-complicated.

Your offline activity as well as your online activities such as on twitter, linkdn and facebook will be directly proportional to your success.

I Wish You Great Success

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Adoring the persistence you put into your site and in depth point of view you present here. It's very good to find a blog every once in a while that is not all the same old rehashed information. Great work! I've saved your site and I'm adding your blog URL to my Google account today. Even more, I admire your site so much that I am interested to advertise my own site www.emt.co.il on it. Please contact me at: everythingrainbowhk (AT) gmail.com with your quarterly ad prices. Much appreciated!

Emmanuel Sodipo said...

Thanks for your interest in advertising on the blog; you can reach me at service@scrollsolutions.com to discuss further